Speech Therapy/Swallowing issues

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of davefollmers davefollmers 6 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of davefollmers davefollmers 
    Participant

HI,
    It was getting harder and harder to hear John speak, so since most other issues seemed pretty stable I decided to ask for a prescription for speech therapy from his neurologist. Dr. Kaufer had recommended it about a year ago if we wanted it, but I had put it off. Three weeks ago, John started seeing a speech therapist who came highly recommended. We go twice a week and it is about 45 minutes from our home.

He is doing much better already. It is less tiring for me to have to ask him over and over to repeat himself. And he is more confident and even safer now that he can be heard more easily. Our minister visited a few days ago and commented that John’s voice was stronger.

Last week I mentioned that John was choking a lot whenever he ate. His therapist went on high alert and immediately started to train us both in proper swallowing techniques. She told John that swallowing issues could send him to the hospital and he needed to take this very seriously. She said that if John could get good results from using her techniques that a swallowing study would not be needed at this point. That got his attention. As soon as we started to do as she said, John’s choking sounds disappeared from our mealtimes. Wow! It was impressive to see it work so well so fast.

Medicare covers most of the cost of speech therapy. So I thought some of you early stage caregivers might want to know that this can help if your LO is having swallowing issues or a voice that is much too soft to hear well. As with most issues, the sooner they are addressed, the better. (We also try to do something fun while we are away from the house on these therapy treks…that is good medicine, too!)

Fore more details:
    web hosting marketing

• This topic was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of davefollmers davefollmers.
    • This topic was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of davefollmers davefollmers.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

Experiencing issues with our site or have suggestions for improvement? Send us an email and we will get back to you.

Sending
©2024 Early Interventionist
or

or    

Forgot your details?