Bagless therapy

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lauren Conley Lauren Conley 2 years, 6 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Lauren Conley Lauren Conley 

I wanted to pick your brain about going bagless in Philadelphia homes. I work mostly in north Philadelphia and while some sessions have gone well bagless, it has only been successful with 2 out of my 30 families. How are some of your successful and not successful bagless sessions? Any tips? Anyone else in the same boat?

Profile photo of ShaLaina Sample ShaLaina Sample 
    Participant

Hi Lauren!

Thanks for starting this great website!!:-)

I’ve been pretty successful with “bagless” therapy. It is easier to start “bagless” with new families who have not received any therapy before because you can then set the standard from the beginning. I tell them that I am there to teach strategies and implement language skills within their natural routines and daily events. Most of the time, most families have toys in their living room or play area—even if its just one ball or one doll. I make it a point to tell them I am “jumping into what you guys are doing”. I also tell them that even if I brought a whole bunch of things, I have to take them anyway and the child/family would not be able to practice what I taught during the week. Also, the child might have a fit if I have to take it. If there is nothing in the home, most kids enjoy paper and pencil/crayons. I may draw something on their folder that I have for them. I am also an advocate of finger plays and songs. I kind of get made fun of making up songs about anything that may be going on. Most families let their child play with their phone or tablet. I show the free apps that are language based and fun. Now, there are times when I may just bring in one puzzle or one container of bubbles–but rarely do I bring in a whole bag of toys/materials. I hope this helps!

Profile photo of Lauren Conley Lauren Conley 

New Strategies and my thoughts on going bagless:

I have discovered that some cases are better bagless, while some are not. The best cases for bagless are when the child is easily engaged. Strategies with these kiddos include:

1. Demonstrating play with the toys in the home and then having the parents practice! Using Hanen strategies.
    2. Taking videos of myself playing with the child’s toys and then teaching how to sign or prompt a word so that the family can carryover the practice. Video modeling for the children and family :)
    3. Bring stickers!! Stick it on their toys and have the children practice a greater variety of vocabulary at home with their own toys.
    4. Work on book reading or leave a book in the home for the week.
    5. Discuss target words to practice during the week. Discuss the when and how!

For more difficult to engage children, I like to have my toys for trial and error to add to their engagement levels. These are typically children that respond more to ‘new’ toys and are willing to work harder with these toys. I like to incorporate the family and discuss ways to engage the child at home, such as restricting access to all toys so that even old toys can be seen as ‘new’ toys. When able, I also like to incorporate outings and activities with these families.

For families that are not ‘available’ to participate and have children that are also difficult to engage, I do need to bring my own activities. However, I like to provide ideas for carryover activities and assign ‘homework’. I try to get the parents or other family in the session for at least the last 5-10 minutes to discuss carryover.

Please message below if you have other tips to share!!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

Experiencing issues with our site or have suggestions for improvement? Send us an email and we will get back to you.

Sending
©2019 Early Interventionist
or

or    

Forgot your details?