This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lauren Conley Lauren Conley 6 years, 6 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Lauren Conley Lauren Conley 

I just finished a book about girl with Autism called “Carly’s Voice”. It was a great read and sparked thought on what all of the kiddos we work with are actually thinking.

She coined the phrase “audio filtering”, meaning that ‘scripting’ a tv show or making noises in class is actually a good thing. According to the book, a child with Autism stores auditory input like an audio recording, but may not yet understand what he or she hears. Scripting is a way to practice the language over and over again until something is understood, and humming or making sounds may be a way to filter through background noise and hear what is currently being said.

Anyone else read any books or research articles that has taught you something new about Autism?

MUST READ: Autism Breakthrough. It has changed how I do therapy for ALL of my kids. Feel free to contact me with any questions!

Profile photo of Hindy Kramer Hindy Kramer 
    Participant

Hi Lauren! Thanks for this great website! What you mentioned above is very interesting! Play to Talk and Early Start Denvor Model for young children with Autism are two books that I really enjoyed. They are full of great teaching techniques for engaging children with Autism and helping them learn. A big focus is sensory games, teaching play skills, imitation skills, communication skills and engagement. Early Start Denvor Model talks about the brains elasticity at a young age and how it can be changed for the better, a concept that stresses the importance of early intervention (and that is something I like to share with parents)

Thank you Hindy!! I will look into these books!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

Experiencing issues with our site or have suggestions for improvement? Send us an email and we will get back to you.

Sending
©2024 Early Interventionist
or

or    

Forgot your details?